Friday, August 17, 2012

SPARKLE 2012 (THE MOVIE) REVIEW








August 17, 2012
By Ladyglen

I unexpectedly liked this remake of Sparkle. Not as much as the original but, I didn’t expect to like it as much as the original which by the way, is on my Favorites List. Although I pitched a bitch at the casting, it wasn’t as bad as I expected. I would have loved to see more of the strong willed, black and proud ‘Dee’ character, played by Tika Sumpter but, I liked what little I did see of her. I thought all the actors did a good job in their respective roles. The movie stars Jordin Sparks as the titled character ‘Sparkle’, Carmen Ejogo as ‘Sister’, Tika Sumpter as ‘Delores’ (the three sisters who are the focus of the movie about a girl R&B singing group), Derek Luke plays ‘Stix’ their manager, Mike Epps as the abusive ‘Satin’, Whitney Houston as the girls mom ‘Emma’ and Michael Beach as ‘Reverend Bryce’, whom I did not recognize until the ending credits.

My only um...complaint (for lack of a better word at the moment) is the change in the script with the ‘Sister’ and ‘Satin’ characters. The movie could just as well have been named Sister based on that change.

I give this movie 3 out of 4 Stars void of the urge to be viewed again in the theatre, which is what I often do when I really enjoy a movie.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I AM A STRONG POSITIVE BLACK WOMAN!!!

Search This Blog